Sunday, July 27, 2008

Not My Job

The initial complaint had to be amended to satisfy the jurisdictional authority of the OPP. The OPP dismissed the initial complaint because it did not include a specific reference to a violation of the statutes between Title 35 and Title 37. Apparently, violations of Constitutional provisions aren't sufficient for the OPP to investigate. The SOS also expressed the limitation of their authority to be ministerial. You would think that something so basic as filing for legislative office would fall within their authority. When we vote, the registrar requires verification of your identity and address. According to the SOS's office they do not have authority to verify the name and address on the Nomination form. I asked if illegal aliens could file and they said "yes". Pay the fee and run for office. The Election Law handbook contains 252 pages of laws which apply to a candidate. The clerk advised me that if I didn't sign a form that she would remove me from the ballot. It's scary to realize that the clerk has more authority that the SOS or OPP. I don't comprehend the dual level of enforcement and authority, but that's "not my job" and they don't think it's theirs either.

No comments: